This blog consists of my inspirations, the subjects of my dreams, and my ideas of timeless art. I do not post what is new or popular or current, I post what I find that is beautiful.


Behind the Curtain at the New York City Ballet




"This is the secret," says photographer Henry Leutwyler. "To completely blend in, to become 
invisible." Luetwyler spent last winter as the most observant ghost in New York City Ballet's rehearsal
 studios, capturing the uncommonly raw backstage images that now compose ballet, which is both a 
book (out in December from Steidl) and an exhibit (on view at Foley Gallery November 28 through 
January 6). The shots here exemplify the peek-behind-the-curtain feel of Leutwyler's photos, from an 
open crate of tutus ("like pizzas in a restaurant") to a ballerina's feet after a day of matinée and evening
 performances ("when the feet are demolished"). "If I had to title the picture, I would call it Reality and
 Dreams," says Leutwyler. "The foot en pointe is what every little girl dreams of. The other is the hard,
 hard work, and the reality."




No comments: